Sunday, January 29, 2012

Do you know where your food comes from?

Whatever way you choose to eat, I do believe it is important to know where your food comes from and become educated about the food industry and some of the politics behind it (like who indorses the food pyramid we teach our kids about at school???? most likely the meat and dairy industry). Until I watched, Food, Inc I was really oblivious to a lot! Not that I didn't care, I just didn't know. I watched this almost 2 years ago which is what got David and I thinking more about what we are buying and which companies we are supporting.



I highly recommend watching Food Inc. if you get a chance. You can see it on Netflix. HERE is a list of other food documentaries you may be interested in.


My other tid bit this morning is about eggs. I do love to eat eggs. I am now buying my eggs from a local lady I found on the Internet. Doing a search on Craigs list takes a matter of minutes and you should be able to find someone fairly close to you selling free-range, organic eggs. Once you buy them, open them up and compare them to an egg from Costco! My kids and I did this and they were so amazed to see the different yoke color from a free range egg which is bright orange vs. the light pale yellow color of the Costco egg. The taste is amazing also!


Here is an article you can read about eggs. I didn't know cage-free, did not mean free range! Very interesting and it only takes a few minutes to read. You can find the article HERE!


I have enjoyed supporting my local farmers and my cute egg lady, Una! Educate yourself and figure out what is important to you and your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment