Thursday, January 12, 2012

Happy January!



I can't believe how quickly the last few months have flown by. With Thanksgiving, Christmas, an anniversary and two kids birthdays...the last few months were a blur. I am excited to be back on a good schedule with the kids in school and going to bed at a reasonable hour. David and I have been "detoxing" for the last two weeks. It has been great to get excited about whole food eating again. I feel like between Halloween to new years we got lost in the sugar rush that goes along with celebrating.
I am looking forward to another year, continuing to put in action what I have learned last year..making this transition more lasting and permanent.

Here is a great recipe I found from http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/. It is a beautiful website and the writer and recipe creator is very knowledgeable with nutrition and I have really enjoyed her recipes so far. Here is one that I think you will like. The link to the original recipe is HERE:

Ingredients:
2/3 C. almond milk (unsweetened)
1/4 C. pumpkin puree
1/4 C. quinoa, well rinsed
1 t. coconut oil
1/4 t. pure vanilla extract
1/2 t. ground cinnamon (I was generous with this)
pinch of nutmeg and ginger
stevia to sweeten

Topping:
1 T. coconut oil, melted
1 T. agave or pure maple syrup (can use stevia if wanting no sugar)
1.5 T. finely ground almond flour (i just throw almonds in my high powered blender and grind )
1/4 C. pecans, chopped

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 250 degrees
2. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients (minus the topping). Pour into small casserole dish, cover and cook for 30 minutes
3. While cooking, combine the topping and add to the quinoa after it has cooked for 30 minutes. Bake uncovered with topping for an extra 15 minutes.

Makes 2 Servings...Great for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a bite here in there throughout the day.

Each serving is about 300 calories with 7 grams of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment