Sunday, March 13, 2011

Rustic Banana Cake

I have gotten a lot of my vegan ideas from http://www.ohsheglows.com/. I love this girl's positive attitude and her story. She makes yummy things and this one we had today for breakfast (with our cocoa banana shake was great). I caught David eating his piece with a piece of butter on it. Right as he was eating it, he asked me if it is healthy. I kind of laughed and said, "yes!" He is still working on it :)... I love this recipe because it can be gluten free, if you use GF oats... Here it is from ohsheglows.com with a few "Leanna" changes.
Ingredients:

2 C. regular oats, processed into a flour
1/2 C. regular oats (not processed)
1/4 C. sucanat (raw sugar)
1/3 C. agave
1 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. nutmeg
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. sea salt
2 T. coconut oil, melted
1 1/2 large ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1/2 C. applesauce
1/4 C. coconut milk (could use almond milk)
2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 C. fruit-sweetened chocolate chips


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease 8 or 9 inch circle cake pan.
2. In large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (oats,oat flour (from blended oats), sugar, spices, baking powder and salt).
3. In another bowl, mix together the oil, applesauce, agave, milk and vanilla. Addin the mashed bananas and stir.
4. Dump the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Spread into pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cook before cutting, if you can stand it.


Here is a glaze you can put on it, but we ate it plain:

1 ripe banana
2 T. peanut butter
1/2 C. icing sugar,
pinch of salt

Directions: Mash banana in bowl until smooth. Addin peanut butter and mash until combined. Sift in the salt and icing sugar and stir until fully combined. Makes about 2/3 C. glaze. Keep in fridge for a few days.

2 comments:

  1. where do you get fruit sweetened chocolate chips??

    ReplyDelete
  2. My local health food store, The Good Earth, sells them in bulk. When I was at the store I actually looked at the label and it says "Grain Sweetened Chocolate Chips....I bet you could get them at Jimbos or maybe Henry's. If not, probably on line. Cocoa nibs are raw chocolate, but bitter plain. They also make sweetened cocoa nibs which I put in my smoothie, but they wont melt. This is best form of chocolate for you.

    ReplyDelete