Tuesday, March 15, 2011

True North Almond Clusters-Copy Cat

I saw my friend Lillie coming out of a health food store in Provo and she asked me to come over and talk to her for a second. I went over and she pulled out a bag of True North Almond Clusters that she had just bought from Sam's Club. She asked me if I thought I could copy them. I haven't really done much of making up my own recipe...but it was totally fun and the end result is more like a nut brittle, but super yummy and a great snack for the kids to take to school or to pack in your back-pack for a long hike or to snack on while you are snow shoeing.

Here you go Lillie:

Preheat Oven to 250

In a bowl, combine:

1 1/2 C. coarsely chopped almonds
1 C. coarsely chopped cashews
3/4 C. coarsely chopped walnuts
set aside
(all my nuts were soaked and then dehydrated, but I am sure you could just use regular if you are short on time)


In a saucepan, combine:
1/2 C. brown rice syrup (you can find this at your health food store by the other syrups. It is in a jar with a metal lid)
1/4 C. sucanat (raw sugar)
1/4 C. coconut oil
1/2 t. sea salt
Bring to a boil and let boil for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly


Take off the heat and add, 1/4 t. baking soda and 1 t. vanilla (be careful, because it might bubble up)


Stir and pour over nuts. Stir well and pour on greased roasting/baking pan.

Bake for 45-50 minutes, stirring every 12 minutes or so. Let cool just for a few minutes and then scrape off nuts and break into little clusters. Enjoy

4 comments:

  1. Were your nuts raw or toasted??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made these twice and loved them. My only substitution was Coconut Syrup instead of Brown Rice syrup. It has just as much sweetness and is organic but with fewer calories. These make great Holiday gifts! I also sprinkled half the batch with a 1/4 cup of mini semisweet chocolate chips. Thanks so much for posting this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any other home made option for rice syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any other home made option for rice syrup?

    ReplyDelete