Sunday, February 13, 2011

Raw Melissa

I had the fortunate pleasure to attend two nights back to back this last week of "uncooking" classes at the Raw Melissa studio in Springville. Melissa Chappell is an amazing chef that makes yummy food out of whole foods and sells her desserts to several of the health food stores in the area. She teaches classes a few times each year and when I saw the sign up on her website (HERE).
For only 15.95, you can purchase her "Faves" cookbook which includes many of the recipes she taught us in the class: Apple Crisp, Lime Mousse, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, Strawberry Cheesecake, Candied Walnuts, Macadamia Nut Thumbprint Cookies and Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream. All are made with whole foods, are dairy free and raw! I got to sample everything and have already made many of the foods I mentioned above. This has really excited me about eating healthy and also my family, because all of her recipes taste wonderful and have flavors that we are familiar with.

I told Raw Melissa, after I met her that she is a breath of fresh air and just what I needed to stay motivated..
As a teaser, here is her No Bake No Bakes Recipe. I am listing this for my dear friend, Trina because we seem to make these every time we get together (less frequent now that I am in Utah and she is in California)...but now I have a raw, whole foods version.
(hope you don't mind Melissa for giving a sneak-peak of what's in your fabulous cookbook).

4 C. rolled oatmeal
1/2 C. almond butter (or natural peanut butter)
1/2 C. coconut oil
1 T. vanilla
6 T. cocoa powder
1 C. agave
3/4 t. salt
Mix by hand in a bowl. If the coconut oil is hard (which it usually is because it doesn't melt until it is 70 degrees), you can melt it over a double broiler. Drop by spoonfuls on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Put in freezer until hardened.
Eat and enjoy!

(If you are like me, then you will be reliving your childhood in every frosty bite)

1 comment:

  1. My sister made these for me last week -- yum!! And thank you!

    ReplyDelete