Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mexican Pasta


I have adapted this recipe from Original Fast Foods and my family really likes it. It makes great left overs so David can take it to work.

Ingredients:


1 lb. whole grain (or brown rice) pasta


1 zucchini, chopped


1 C. carrots, diced


1/2-1 red or green pepper, diced


1/2 onion, diced


1/2-1 jalapeno seeded and diced


2 cloves garlic, minced


2 t. chili powder


1-2 T. cumin powder


2 Roma tomatoes, chopped


1 can fire roasted tomatoes


2 C. sprouted beans. (see how to sprout beans HERE)


1 can chopped or whole olives, drained


1 small can enchilada sauce (or you can make your own)


1 small can tomato sauce (add another if you want it soupier)


diced fresh cilantro and raw cheese for garnish

Directions: Cook pasta in water, drain and set aside when done. In large pan, saute zucchini, carrots, green pepper, onion, jalapeno, garlic, chili and cumin powder until tender (about 5 minutes on low heat). Add fresh tomatoes and cook for a few minutes. Then add fire-roasted tomatoes, beans, olives, enchilada and tomato sauce and heat thoroughly. Stir in pasta and dump everything into a casserole dish. Top with cilantro and raw cheese. Cover tightly and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly!

4 comments:

  1. I made this last night! I used kidney beans instead of sprouted beans and fresh mozzarella cause I don't know what "raw" cheese is. I made it with pasta.
    Next time I am going to use brown rice and black beans. I actually thought this would be really yummy baked in peppers!
    Thanks for the dinner help! Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What in the world is raw cheese and sprouted beans? I need someone to help me here. :) I'll be trying your recipes and I love how there are yummy-looking pictures your website. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany,
    I just added a link on this recipe to my link about sprouting beans. Basically, you are taking a dried bean and bringing it back to life. The closer your food is to "living," the easier it is to digest. Where it says sprouted beans in the ingredients, click on "HERE" to see how to do it. Totally easy...promise.
    Raw Cheese, is unpasturized cheese. It is made from Raw Milk. It is expensive, so we just use it when I can afford it. My kids still eat regular cheese sparnigly.When I want I treat, I go to my local health food store and buy Cascadia Farms Raw Jack Cheese...yum. Here is a link to learn more about it:http://gnowfglins.com/2010/01/13/raw-cheese-benefits/!
    Thanks for the compliment. Let me know if you have any other questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Momma on a Mission!! I ran across this recipe when I first was looking on your website, and since then I have learned about sprouting beans and raw cheese. :o)
    Thanks so much! I'll be trying this recipe this week. So excited! Just sprouting a big batch of beans today...

    ReplyDelete